Wednesday 9 December 2009

Har Mar Superstar anyone?

Photobucket

There are recesses of my brain I imagine I would have been using to store dark memories of childhood perversion had they not all been used up by thoughts of Har Mar Superstar, wriggling his limbs all over the place and making me feel sort of weird - so I'm a little worried to discover he's actually back in the collective consciousness, having just released an album, Dark Touches, in November.

Although my presiding memory of Mr Mar is more of his writhing body somewhat defying expectations of pop star beauty, I seem to have managed to forget the fact that he's actually really good. Beyond the thrilling stage routine and costume changes/ removal there's a solid base of heartening electro fibre, channeling Midnight Vultures era Beck, which in turn channels Prince, which in turn makes me want to put on my old figure-skating sequined leotard and wriggle around in a dancing fashion as near to the stage as I can get.

Lucky as I am, I won't have to travel far as he will be gracing the stage not 20 metres from where I write. Sharing it with him on Saturday 19th December are Sicknote, heard of them? They're from Wales and have clearly been chosen to give the headliner a run for his money in terms of mischievous, maybe twisted stage presence. Plus Benji Boko, a mad mix of comedy, trip hop and what the fuck, in a good way.

All this and you get to raise money for charity, as if you weren't doing the world enough good just by being that happy in the first place...

Photobucket