Tuesday 29 December 2009

Interview with Dave Okumu from The Invisible




Its been a great year for the Invisible and we've been incredibly lucky here at the Macbeth to have had the boys in a number of times in 2009.
I caught up with Dave Okumu (middle) from the band on his feelings on the year.

So dave, its been a mad year for you guys, what have been the
highlights and the lowlights?

Highlights have included our album launch with Golden Silvers, Micachu and Hot Chip and Foals dj sets, our Mercury nomination, iTunes album of the year, In The Woods festival, hearing Connan Mockasin's forthcoming record, touring with Micachu, Matthew Herbert, Doves, Foals, some raging gigs round Europe, UK, Moscow and New York, having John Snow attend my birthday party, dj sets with Gwil Gold, and the best meal of my life at EN japanese brasserie in NYC.

My lowest point was being called King Kong by a transvestite prostitute on the streets of Zurich. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Got any plans for anything new?been recording etc?

We always try and keep things moving creatively so we've got a ton of sketches for the next record. We're currently in writing mode, trying to extract the pearl from the oyster.

What are your influences, old and new?

I try and stay open to everything. Even if you hate something, it can exert a positive influence on you cos it helps you define what you don't want to do. I'm influenced massively by my peers and consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by so many voraciously creative people. There's Eska and Matthew Herbert, Alice Cool Dude, Golden Silvers, Anna Calvi, Finn Peters, Sefa Steer, We Fell To Earth and many more. Connan's record is blowing my mind at the moment. Touring with Micachu has had a real impact on me because they are all so inspiring. Beyond that it's just about anything with heart and honesty.

Favourite gig of the year and favourite moment of the year?

Def Langoustine at Coronary Crumpage. That was one of the hippest gigs I've ever seen. My favourite was probably sharing the meal I mentioned earlier with the loved ones.

Cheese preference?

Quincy Wareham. It's not really a cheese. It's actually the name of my friend's son. But it should be the name of a particularly pungent, sophisticated english cheese.

Who is the sexiest member of the Macbeth staff?

The Macbeth staff ooze sex appeal from every conceivable orifice but, when push comes to shove, Mark wins hands down. You can't mess with that degree of swagger, nor can you challenge a man who can pull off the cowboy boots, jeans, suit jacket look with such aplomb.