Tuesday 29 December 2009

Photographer profile - Phoebe Arnstein




Who inspired you to start taking photographs and who do you look up to in the industry?

I guess a combination of a complete infatuation with Testino’s work and being surrounded by a very beautiful group of friends made me realise the potential of photography in the ‘fashion’ sense.
I think Tim Walkers’ work is remarkable and impossible to replicate which indicates the pure brilliance of his ideas.



Other artists who inspire you?

Marlene Dumas and Arnulf Rainer both inspire me with their alluring, yet disturbing work. However, photographers who have had the most profound effect on me in the past are Franscesca Woodman (she produced the majority of her work in her early teens which is incredible really considering its troubling concept) and Desiree Dolron, who develops photographs in such a way to make them look very much like oil paintings.
Currently, however, Boogie has a photography collection that blows me away every time.



Favourite night?

Forward @ Plastic People




Aspirations?

Director of Photography.


Cheese preference?

Manchego!







www.phoebearnstein.com